An American In Italy

A semester spent in Europe... Rome, specifically.

Thursday, October 21, 2004

An Ode to Ouzo

Hello my blogging friends,


I am blogging from Olympia, Greece today, day 7 of our 10-day tour. Tomorrow we leave for ... Patras and then back to Rome, I think... we'll probably stop some other places on the way, but tonight the whole class goes out. And I'm resolved to try ... ouzo.

For this occasion, and because I was bored on the bus-ride here, I have written a small ode. It is as yet under construction, but this is what I have thus far.


An Ode to Ouzo

O lovely lucent licorice nectar,
Only you can flatten Hector.
O diamond drink of adamant bite,
With you can I the Hydra fight
And, excepting only gasoline,
Nothing quite the palate wrings.
Down, dank, Draconian, drear --
This my world with only beer;
A weeping, woeful, wretched watch,
A painful world with only scotch.
But ouzo, ah, now there's the thing,
It lights my world like kerosene --
Which I've never tried, though I think it'd
Taste the same were I to drink it.
Open throat and down it goes,
Soon madness on my senses snows.
Around my head the heavens spin
Before I find my feet again
Where, whipped with all Aeolian winds,
I worship a god of porcelain.

3 Comments:

At 2:33 PM, Blogger Tom said...

Love your use of the language. I tried ouzo once...I thought it tasted terrible, definite pine overtones!

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Zadok the Roman said...

It's so rare to find such a fine poetic sensibility combined with the thirst and stomach of a G.I. That poem may well be the finest of its kind since Keats wrote his famous 'Ode after Drinking from a Grecian Urn'. :)

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Mel said...

Ahhhhhhh, ouzo! It's an almost-sure ticket to a really bad hangover... It's also delicious.

And I like your poem, too :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home