An American In Italy

A semester spent in Europe... Rome, specifically.

Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Eurail Info Wanted....

Hey

Who knows something about Eurail? There is no schedule available online ... and I'm really suspicious of any kind of non-official ... anything. One of the things I got when I typed in "Eurail" on Google was railpass.com, which looks official at first, but not when you dig around. Also, when you try to get a schedule for that, it takes you to Deutsche Bahn. Uh.

Also it says that something from Rome to Avignon is 20 hours. That can't be right.

Digging around a bit more on the REAL Eurail website (which is very, very European made by virtue of such phrases on a professional website as, "Too much luggage is a DRAG" and "For some connections in Europe trains make use of ferry crossings. You won't believe it, but really, the entire train is put aboard the boat!") I find something about various special trains including high-speed and overnight trains. I have no clue if my Eurail pass covers this ... the one I got from UD is the Eurail Youthpass, I believe. The description on the blue sheet says:

For anyone under 26 years of age. Unlimited second-class train travel. Second-class on the European trains is most comfortable, and it's the way most Europeans travel. The Youthpass is accepteed on the world's fastest train, the TGV in France. You can even reserve seats and couchette accomodations (for additional fee).

The high-speed Artesia du jour train goes through France and Italy (from Paris and Lyon to Milano via Modane and Torino) ... hey, I think this is that "world's fastest" train they were talking about. And that ticket covers it. Diggit! Now ... how long does it take?

HOLY cow! The TGV train can take you from Paris to London in 3 hours via the Chunnel!

And it looks like I can't get a schedule without ordering a pass. Hmmm... I'll contact UD about schedules.

After that, the next thing I want to know about is the cheapest accomodations. I remember Steph and Colleen and other people talking about "hostels" -- what're those?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home